Saturday, November 8, 2014

★★★★☆ Gatti is lovely with a French orchestra in Debussy, if the interpretation is lacking

Debussy: La Mer, Prelude to the Afternoon of a Faun, Images
Up to this point I haven't followed Daniele Gatti on disc, but after it was announced he'll be succeeding Mariss Jansons at the Concertgebouw, I felt like I had missed weeks of homework. So I pulled out this Debussy disc of La Mer, Prelude to the Afternoon of a Faun, and Images to give myself a little idea of what to expect in 2016.

Gatti is Italian, but he's working with the French National Orchestra, and there's a strong French tint to this reading. Sony's sound is a bit dry and distant, lending a slight heavy feel, but overall this is a delicate, beautiful La Mer. The tempo is a little slow, but that almost seems to be the point. I prefer interpretations from Karajan, Abbado, Rattle, and Gergiev, and in comparison this reading smacks of sameness, but the sounds are lovely.

It's strange, though, because coming to the Prelude to the Afternoon of a Faun, Gatti chooses a brisk pace that misses opportunity for color. Laziness is actually a good thing in this piece, so I wish for more hazy languor.

I wonder if the Images is the best selection on the program, since Gatti is fairly bright and upbeat. I don't hear a lot of interpretation, so we're here to wallow in gorgeous sounds. They're a joy, but you can be atmospheric in Debussy with more spark and virtuosity. I remain a fan of Levine's neglected reading on Sony with the Berlin Phil. All the same, I had no trouble enjoying this reading, which has a unique French sound. I feel we're in Debussy's world, whereas many reading can be faulted for a lack of ambience.

So this disc is very good in most ways, even if I wasn't tempted to stand and cheer at the end. It's hard to judge a conductor's skills based on one remote reading, but looking ahead to his Concertgebouw reign, this reading increased my optimism. We'll have to see what happens.

No comments:

Post a Comment